For companies to be able to frack, three things need to be in place:

  1. The Government needs to sell a PEDL license (Petroleum Exploration and Development License) to the company (s) wishing to frack.
  2. The land needs to be leased by a public or private landowner.
  3. The council have to award planning permission.

Therefore Frack Free Dudleston are asking residents of Shropshire to:

  • Write letters to Shropshire County Council
  • Write to your MP calling for a Moratorium on Fracking

We have been informed by Councillors that it is more effective to receive individual letters rather than templates from campaign groups, therefore we encourage you to write to the councils at the addresses below & express your concern. Points may include:

  • Concerns related to the chemicals used in the process (in excess of 500).
  • The integrity of the wells, contamination of watersources during and post-fracking, and the potential release of methane during the process.
  • The ability of the Environment Agency (EA) and the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) to monitor safety when both are subject to budget restrictions and staff cutbacks.
  • The traffic movements of lorries delivering equipment, chemicals, fresh water and ‘post-fracking’ water to and from the well sites on often crowded local roads.
  • The proposed processing and storage locations for contaminated ‘post-fracking’ water
  • The effect on tourism and agriculture of ‘fracking’ operations in the Mendip Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) and other high landscape value locations around the country.
  • All of the risks above for a non-renewable energy source of indeterminate amounts of gas.
  • The climate impact of methane release.

Letters can be sent to:

  • Shrewsbury: Shirehall, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, SY2 6ND
  • Ludlow: Stone House, Corve Street, Ludlow, SY8 1DG
  • Bridgnorth: Westgate, Bridgnorth, WV16 5AA
  • Oswestry: Castle View, Oswestry, SY11 1JR
  • Wem: Edinburgh House, New Street, Wem, SY4 5DB